Monday, November 8, 2010

He Doesn't Give us a Spirit of Fear....

My it has been way too long since I have posted. Thanks, Shan-d for the reminder. :) Although I must admit that I have had plenty of friendly reminders of late.

Beloved, fear can be a crippling emotion, especially when it is not godly and reverential. Fear manifests itself in many ways, some of which include apprehension, insecurity, and distrust (just to name a few). In the times that we live in, we are constantly bombarded with "fearful" indications on a daily basis, it's no wonder that most of us have had to address "fearful" tendencies in our lives from time to time.

I was intrigued by a particular definition of fear that Google provided, it's as follows;

"Fear-an emotion experienced in anticipation of some specific pain or danger (usually accompanied by a desire to flee or fight)".

May I be honest? I mean painfully honest? This definition has hit home for me. In relation to this blog and to other endeavors in my life I have to admit that at times fear has caused me not to embrace and flow with the Spirit of God. In fact, my "modus operandi" has been to flee. Run and Hide. Either, this is unfamiliar territory that I am just not ready to face, or the emotions are too familiar and I fear going down that road again. But yet, He beckons me to pursue, to try and to love without any apprehension, without any fear of the unknown or reliance on my "personal perceptions"; because He is with me and He will help me (Isaiah 44:2).

So here I am, coming out of hiding once again. Daily reminding myself, that God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7). He has already provided me with everything that I need to overcome. So now its up to me to take Him at His Word, as it was with Joshua, Gideon, the Disciples and so many others who have gone before me.

Maybe you can relate to this post. My prayer is that His love will overshadow every thought, every word, or ideology that seeks to hinder (prevent) you and I from being all that God has created us to be. May His perfect love cast out all fear. May our eyes be opened to the fact that there are many more for us than that are against us. Lord God, we believe that there is a glorious destiny awaiting us as we step out in faith, keeping our eyes on You and not on the howl of the waves, the visual turbulence or the voices that try to convince us to get back into the boat. You, Oh Lord, are the Author and the Finisher of the very faith we need to conquer this giant. You continue to daily provide us with grace that meets us right where we are, for this we say thank you.

I would love to hear your feedback.

4 comments:

  1. I must say that fear is the emotion that I am most familiar with. Fear of "being hurt by others" has influenced my actions since I can remember. I don't know if it's because I like to be in control or if I just don't like the fact that others can control me. All I know is that it was real and it was scary.

    I'm glad that God has delivered me from the spirit of fear. I no longer care that others can hurt me. In fact I know they sometimes will. I however, must continue to live my life the way I want to and if that means that I'm vulnerable to the mistreatment of others, I no longer care. As long as God is for me, who can be against me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beleive that once we recognize it for what it is, we can address it and move pass it victoriously. Whom God calls, He also enables and equips.

    Thank you for sharing your heart. This is truly just the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fear, is such a tricky thing because it attackes our vision. When we are afraid we cannot see God's best for us even if it is stirring us right in the face. Fear causes us to perish and miss Gods best for us because our vision is distorted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ....when we know the truth and made it applicable to our lives, we experience a freedom that is lasting (John 8:32). I am encouraged to examine myself concerning the truth revealed in your writing. I'm grateful you shared and hope to read many more such inspiring articles in the near future :-) Many blessings to you and all those who will read your blogs. We are in pursuit of destiny and will not relent!

    ReplyDelete